If you feel called to enrich your personal spiritual journey through an in-depth, formational, exploration of Belle Cœur Spirituality, the following information will be helpful for your discernment.
What is Belle Cœur Spirituality Formation?
Belle Cœur Spiritual Formation is a mentored, experiential program to deepen and grow your spiritual wisdom and enrich your mystical (direct and personal) relationship with God. Through sacred study, journaling, spiritual practice, ritual and creative expression, you will become familiar with Belle Cœur’s holistic, sacred cosmology to invigorate and inspire your creative heart and spirit.
Belle Cœur Spirituality takes root from the story, teachings, and practices described in the texts for this program, Ink and Honey and The Way of Belle Cœur written by the Foundress of Belle Cœur, Sibyl Dana Reynolds. Additional threads of Belle Cœur Spirituality are informed by:
- The ancient wisdom of the early Christian Mystics
- The historical First Century Church
- Creation, the natural world, and the changing seasons
- Sacred practices and rituals
- The poetry and prose of many authors and inspirational teachers
- The medieval Beguine tradition
- Myriad creative and spiritual sources.
Sibyl, your spiritual director and mentor, will serve as your companion throughout formation. She will offer additional suggestions, spiritual guidance, and inspiration to compliment your personal rhythm. Her guidance will support and deepen your exploration and personal expression of the teachings, practices, and creative exercises of Belle Cœur Spirituality.
What is included in Belle Coeur Spiritual Formation?
Belle Cœur Spiritual Formation is presented through People's Catholic Seminary. After your completion and submission of your application, it will be reviewed. Upon acceptance, you'll receive a link to complete the registration process. When registration is completed you will receive a link to the formation program materials, videos, podcasts and downloadable PDF's. The PDFs will outline reading assignments, creative expression, prayers, etc.
The Way of Belle Cœur: A Woman’s Vade Mecum and Ink and Honey are the primary texts for this course. Supplementary optional reading suggestions and resources will be included with the course materials.
The formation program and spiritual exploration include, but are not limited to: reading and reflection, sacred practices, prayer, journaling, creative experiences, altar dressing, dream-work, and contemplation. Topics include The Belle Cœur Spiritual Template, Personal Sacrament, the Wisdom Codex, 7 Facets of Illumination, Iconotypes and Iconotypal Self-Portrait, Nature and Creation, Sensory Awareness, Prayer and Sacred Practice, the Sacred Life-Arts and Creativity, and more.
Your creation of a final project will complete your formation. Your final project will reflect your personal creative expression to represent how Belle Cœur spirituality informs your life. Options include but are not limited to your creation of a painting, poem, a quilt or piece of needlework, a collage … any creative form you choose for self-expression.
To enrich your experience of formation, you will keep a journal as your workbook for your studies, and create your Belle Cœur Wisdom Codex, a special creative and introspective journal. There are no tests, papers to write, etc. during the course. This program is individually focused and personally nurturing.
Monthly Zoom or phone sessions with Sibyl will provide the opportunity to address your questions, receive support and explore your spiritual process. You will also be invited to a monthly Zoom Circle for those completing the formation program.
What happens after Spiritual Formation?
When you have completed formation, you may choose one of two ways to express your relationship with Belle Cœur.
- Belle Cœur Practitioner: You may choose to embrace the sacred practices and teachings of Belle Cœur for your daily personal spiritual enrichment as a Belle Cœur Practitioner. When your studies are completed, you will receive a certificate of completion for formation, and be encouraged to continue to grow your spiritual and creative wisdom. If desired, you may also call a local circle of women to share The Way of Belle Coeur.
- Belle Cœur Sister: If you feel called to a community relationship with Belle Cœur after formation you'll be invited to discern and confirm that becoming a Belle Coeur Sister is expressive of your inner call and appropriate for your spiritual needs. When you feel confident of your calling, you'll be welcomed to the Sisterhood.
How do I begin Spiritual Formation?
Please read the following information carefully to determine if your call to apply for formation for personal spiritual enrichment is resonant with your call and needs.
Belle Cœur Spirituality is …
- Rooted in Inspiration: Belle Cœur spirituality and The Belle Cœur Sisterhood are rooted in the inspired work and writings of Foundress, Sibyl Dana Reynolds, through her books Ink and Honey and The Way of Belle Cœur and myriad sacred sources. Belle Cœur Spirituality is an ever-evolving, holistic sacred cosmology, led by the Spirit/Divine Providence.
- Ecumenical: We are Christ-centered, in relationship to the First Century Church as followers of The Way of Jesus. A liberal and progressive Christian community, we are informed by the medieval Beguine movement and the teachings of the early feminine Christian mystics. We follow the yearly wheel of the Christian liturgical seasons: Easter, Pentecost, Ordinary Time, Advent, Christmas, and Lent.
- Inclusive and diverse: We are respectful of each (Belle Cœur Practitioner’s and/or Sister’s) personal relationship and expression of her relationship with God.
- An independent community: Belle Cœur is independent and not affiliated with a specific Christian doctrine or religion. Sisters do not take professed vows of any kind and are free to leave the community if called to do so.
- Reliant on the guidance/movement of the Spirit and the form of the Circle: We follow foundational, circular guiding principles for group process (rotating leadership, shared responsibility, and reliance on Spirit) presented in the text, The Circle Way, by Christina Baldwin and Ann Linnea. We take time for silence, discernment, and reflection and we listen and respond to the Spirit’s guidance as we evolve and grow our personal wisdom.
- Honoring of each Practitioner’s/Sister’s charism: Each Practitioner and Sister reflects her charism (unique wisdom, life experience, and creative/spiritual forms of expression). Our community respects, values, and relies upon each woman’s charism to enrich the collective experience.
How to Apply:
When your call to apply for formation has been discerned and is clear for you, click here to go to People's Catholic Seminary where you will be directed to the downloadable application. Complete the application and email to email@example.com.
Once your application is reviewed, you will be notified.
Is there a cost for Belle Cœur Spiritual Formation?
After your application for Formation is accepted, you will make your final enrollment on June 15th. Information will be provided when enrollment officially opens.
Formation fee is $400.00 this includes: Six-monthly tutorials, videos and podcasts, six-monthly spiritual direction/mentoring sessions with Sibyl, six-monthly Zoom Circles with other formation students, a copy of The Way of Belle Coeur, and a certificate of completion.
Due to the extensive application process, personal mentoring, and online format of the formation materials, the enrollment fee is non-refundable.
Get in Touch
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions pertaining to the application process and formation.
Blessings to you as you discern your call to Belle Cœur Spirituality Formation.
Learn more about Belle Cœur with on our Resources Page.